- TempDB should have as many data files as there are cores available to SQL Server, but only up to 8 data files. Too many TempDB data files can cause contention. Recommendation: Create 8 files and test from there on.
- TempDB should only have 1 log file. Extra log files will improve performance as they are written to sequentially.
- The data files for TempDB should all be the same size.
- TempDB data files and TempDB log files should be on separate disks.
- TempDB files should be on the fastest disks.
TempDB Best Practices